Mayorov Anatoliy Aleksandrovich, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of history and museology, Orel State Institute of Culture (15 Leskova street, Orel, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The problem of the regional structure of historical Russia, the definition of real internal and external causes of the emergence of various historical regions is very relevant to the present time. In this article, the subject of consideration is the process of the emergence of a special historical and geographical region in the Upper Oka basin in the 9th–10th centuries. The purpose of this work is to identify the importance of various external factors in the course of its formation, their interrelation and interaction with the internal (social and geographical) features of these lands. The article is a continuation of a series of previously published works.
Materials and methods. The realization of research tasks was carried out on the basis of an analysis of the results of a wide range of historical studies relating to various branches of historical knowledge: archeology, national and universal history, historical geography, philology, etc. As a methodological basis of the work are both traditional historical methods (descriptive, comparative-historical), and historicalgeographical (historical-physical-geographical, integral historical-geographical cutting) methods.
Results. The result of the review of the above material was the identification of a number of important factors that had an impact on the emergence and development of the historical region in question: the changes in trade routes as a result of the aggravation of the military and political situation in the Middle East, the trade and political expansion of the Khazar Khaganate, the activation of colonization processes carried out by various groups of Slavic origin, etc.
Conclusions. The combination of foreign policy and external economic factors, as well as internal processes that took place within the territorial boundaries of the research, revealed their combined effect, make it possible to draw a conclusion about their high significance in the formation of the historico-geographical region in the declared chronological frames of the Upper Oka (Verkhovskаya historical-geographical province).
geographical position, Slavic colonization, trade routes, Khazaria, Vyatichi, Upper Oka
1. Gorskiy A. A. Russkie zemli v XIII–XIV vv.: puti politicheskogo razvitiya [Russian lands in XIII–XIV centuries: paths of political development]. Moscow: Izdatel'skiy tsentr Instituta rossiyskoy istorii RAN, 1996, 128 p.
2. Mayorov A. A. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Ser.: Gumanitarnye nauki [Bulletin of Tambov University. Series: Humanities]. 2016, vol. 21, iss. 2 (154), pp. 67–75.
3. Rier G. Ya. Agrarnyy mir Vostochnoy i Tsentral'noy Evropy v srednie veka (po arkheologicheskim dannym): monografiya [The agrarian world of Eastern and Central Europe in the Middle Ages (according to the archeological data): monograph]. Mogilev: MGU im. A. A. Kuleshova, 2000, 264 p.
4. Drevneyshie gosudarstva Vostochnoy Evropy. 2009: Transkontinental'nye i lokal'nye puti kak sotsiokul'turnyy fenomen [Ancient states of Eastern Europe. 2009: Transcontinental and local routes as a sociocultural phenomenon]. Execut. ed. T. N. Dzhakson. Moscow: Indrik, 2010, 496 p.
5. Shchavelev A. S., Fetisov A. A. Istoricheskaya geografiya. T. 2. [Historical geography. Vol. 2]. Moscow, 2014, pp. 7–53.
6. Nazarenko A. V. Drevnyaya Rus' na mezhdunarodnykh putyakh: Mezhdistsiplinarnye ocherki kul'turnykh, torgovykh, politicheskikh svyazey IX–XII vv. [Ancient Rus on international routes: Interdisciplinary essays on cultural, trade, political connections of IX–XII centuries]. Moscow: Yazyki russkoy kul'tury, 2001.
7. Mel'nikova E. A. Drevneyshie gosudarstva Vostochnoy Evropy. 2009: Transkontinental'nye i lokal'nye puti kak sotsiokul'turnyy fenomen [Ancient states of Eastern Europe. 2009: Transcontinental and local routes as a sociocultural phenomenon]. Moscow: Indrik, 2010, pp. 43–57.
8. Mayorov A. A. Uchenye zapiski Orlovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta: nauch. zhurnal [Proceedings of Orel State University: scientific journal]. 2016, no. 3 (72), pp. 55–62.
9. Novosel'tsev A. P. Khazarskoe gosudarstvo i ego rol' v istorii Vostochnoy Evropy i Kavkaza [Khazar state and its role in the history of Eastern Europe in the Caucasus]. Moscow: Nauka, 1990, 264 p.
10. Grigor'ev A. V. Slavyanskoe naselenie vodorazdela Oki i Dona v kontse I – nachale II tys. n.e. [Slavic population of the Oka and Don rivers in late I – early II millennium A.D.]. Tula: Gosudarstvennyy muzey-zapovednik «Kulikovo pole», 2005, 207 p.
11. Mayorov A. A. Vestnik Bryanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Bryansk State University]. 2016, no. 4 (30), pp. 71–77.